Mobi Groups
Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

ReasonforHope - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* ReasonforHope > Topics

Subject: Studying the Bible
Replies: 50 Views: 1594

papidad 11.05.09 - 10:24am
Is there a proper way of studying the Bible n comin up with a proper conclusion of what d Bible intended to say? *

papidad 11.05.09 - 10:40am
2Tim2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of tr *

papidad 11.05.09 - 10:42am
Isnt d intpretation of scripture d reason for d mushroomin of difrnt denominations n cults? What r d acceptable tools? *

papidad 11.05.09 - 10:44am
How then can we avoid the trap of deception n heresy yet not shunning the Holy Spirit speaking thro d scriptures? *

papidad 11.05.09 - 10:47am
When in d study of the Bible r we to conclude a scripture as absolute or not? Appropriate or inapropriate? How can we... *

papidad 11.05.09 - 10:49am
reach to applying the word upon our lives while knowing another may see otherwise n b stumbled yet keeping the unity of *

papidad 11.05.09 - 10:52am
d body of Christ? Can we avoid @ any moment the divsions that come thro the study. When is it right to agree to dsagree? *

iilmadme 12.05.09 - 05:00am
I think it's gud to swap our ideas,even if only to gain insight into how eachother thinks..Sumtimes it cud take a long time for us to understand wat others have been tryin to say *

iilmadme 12.05.09 - 05:04am
But no worries,the jigsaw gets completed eventually.I draw the line at arguing,tbh..Sumtimes it's ok to put things aside n let eachother think bout them privately a while..There r plenty of other things to be dealt with..I mean,take a look at how much time ppl spend discussing bits n pieces like s*xuality or days of worship or particulars like that.Whilst these things r relevent i dont think they need to be argued over relentlessly.Do u? *

papidad 12.05.09 - 07:48am
Honestly... ppl spend lots of time arguin abt many trivial issues. It is amazin how we can b rooted in error yet we ... *

papidad 12.05.09 - 07:50am
hold it as truth. It is also true that daily many ppl read d word n leave withou getting anything from it. We then end.. *

papidad 12.05.09 - 07:52am
up longing to capitulate toward scriptures that tell us of blessings we get n 4gt those th@ urge us to look to Him who *

papidad 12.05.09 - 07:56am
endured d cross, despisin d shame, n is set dwn @ d rght hnd of d thron of God HEB12:2. Instead we go to Rom1:25 worship *

papidad 12.05.09 - 07:59am
N serve d creature more than d Creator. Wit a proper study I bliv th@ blivrs can b able to undrstnd n apply scripture. *

papidad 12.05.09 - 08:01am
One question I hv often seen or heard asked is... If d Bible is true Y all the descrepancies? Yet IITim 3:16,17 Is true *

papidad 12.05.09 - 08:03am
I once offered Deut29:29 in defence n was told it was an excellent cop out scripture. I hv no answers to many things... *

papidad 12.05.09 - 08:05am
Yet I trust the Word bcz it has d power to change n it has changed me. It is my desire to grow in d Lord. LONG ANSWER :D *

monarch5 3.06.09 - 02:30pm
I believe there is no specific way to study the bible. Our. Lord leads me in his word and reveals that word to me as i go. Sometimes the bible is hard to interpret but by reading it over and over. God reveals the meaning to megoin2heaven.GIFfor me proverbs is a great help to me. It shows me how to be godly in my daily life *

jadin_17 19.09.09 - 11:32pm
This is a very good topic!i read the Bible with the belief that it is 100% truth every word, God breathed.Jesus is the Word made flesh remember!so to get a perfect understanding of even the most simple scripture, you must have an understanding of all *

jadin_17 19.09.09 - 11:35pm
scripture in context. *

jadin_17 19.09.09 - 11:43pm
one tip is not to study it as a history book-especialy the old testament!ask God to reveal scripture to you and you will see a theme of Jesus throughout the Bible!always read evrything in context and do not lean on your own understanding,prov 3:5. *

jadin_17 19.09.09 - 11:57pm
God is too big for us to fit in our human understanding, and its when we try put Him in a box, that we get caught up in cults and misconceptions about Him and the Word.basicaly, if we try understand Him-we wont.if we do understand Him-we dont. *

jadin_17 20.09.09 - 12:04am
And we are mistaken.therefore we must rely on the Spirit to guide us while we study, instead of scrutinizing every scripture-because its only by His revelation that we will understand anything. *

jadin_17 20.09.09 - 12:16am
im not saying its impossible to have an understanding of God, just, we must not limit Him to our understanding because we would then limit the Bible to our own interpretation.we should be expecting God to teach us, not our intelect. *

jadin_17 20.09.09 - 12:30am
Although, He gave us our intelect for a reason and we should use it, in synergy with the Spirit.i hope your getting my point? *

iilmadme 20.09.09 - 05:13pm
That makes gud sense to me :) *

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:19am
Have you ever been in a witnessing situation and said, Well, the Bible says.? Just then the person you are talking to says, Yeah, but I dont believe the Bible. Science has proven that the Bible is just a collection of fairy tales mixed in with some good moral teaching, but thats all. *

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:22am
What did you do then? If you are like many, if not most Christians, you probably stuttered, flustered for awhile, said something about the corrupt school system or tried to tell your personal testimony. Maybe you threw back something you heard somewhere about The Shroud of Turin or Noahs Ark claiming these were incontrovertible proof only to have someone with more actual knowledge of such artifacts shoot you down. *

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:23am
Dont feel bad. You are not alone. Most of us are not taught to reason carefully at all, and we are certainly not taught to be rational about our faith. And today, we face not only atheists and agnostics, but those holding to cults, Eastern Mysticism, and post-modern New Age philosophies. The presumption that our great grandparents had of people generally accepting the truth of the Bible, whether they were living by that truth or not, is gone. Frankly, reading the secular writings of those times, I wonder if it was even the dominant perspective then.

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:24am
We need to be able to establish a reason for our faith and know exactly why we can trust the Bible. There are three reasons for this: first, so that we can answer critics; second, to quell honest doubts in the minds of seekers; and third, to find personal assurance against the attacks of doubt the Enemy sends our way. *

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:24am
Responding to Critics

Paul said that we should always be ready to give a defense of the hope that is within us. That means that when someone argues that Christianity is not The Truth or they say something a bit more politically correct like Christianity certainly teaches a fine moral code which we should all abide by. Whether the Biblical accounts of historical events are accurate or not is irrelevant to the moral teaching.

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:27am

Either way, this individual is denying the truth of Christianity. Unlike Buddhism or Islam, the force of Christianity rests not in the teaching of a prophet or teacher, but in a historical event: The Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Without that event, the moral teachings, fine as they are, lack the power and the authority to change lives. *

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:27am
Thomas Jefferson sought to excise the Gospels of the miraculous. So, he took a copy of the Bible and cut out all the accounts of the miraculous in the Gospels and collected what was left in what has become known as The Jefferson Bible. It is a very small book.

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:28am
There are those who would attack scripture head on directly denying the validity of scripture, and there are those who would smother it with powerless praise. In those cir tances, Christians need to be able to say with boldness, Yes, the Bible is a book of moral principles, but it is also the infallible Word of God, and inasmuch as it touches on matters of history and physical science it is accurate. It can be trusted as well as revered.

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:28am
Reassuring Honest Seekers

Some people do not come to Christ because they have honest rational doubts about the reliability of the Bible. They are honest, moral, rational people. They simply cannot get past the possibility that the scripture is not factually accurate in terms of its history. After all, if the scripture is in error over the resurrection, then it may well be in error about the atonement as well. Doctrine and history are intertwined in scripture. And some people need reassurance that scripture is accurate when it touches on historical fact.
In this case, one is not defending scripture against an attack by a skeptic. Instead, one is helping another person settle rational doubts about the validity of scripture. This is a person who is much closer to salvation than their conversation might indicate. Satan is using those reasonable doubts to keep that person from actually evaluating the claims of Christianity. By settling those doubts, you take away the smokescreen that Satan has created.

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:29am
Reassurance for the Christian

Hearing so many doubts expressed in the media and academia about the veracity of scripture, it is easy to let those doubts creep into ones own consciousness. Even the Christian can begin to wonder, Why do I believe the Bible is the Word of God? Can it be trusted in matters of science and history? Is it true or just a book of good moral teaching?

papidad 22.09.09 - 08:29am
When I was a child, my mother taught me to know what I believed and to be able to establish it without using the Bible. She did this because she knew I would be going to school, hearing about evolution and other subjects which were at odds with Christian teaching. You have to know how to defend your faith without using the Bible, She said, because they dont believe the Bible. *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 12:38pm
i get your point, to me the Bible could be sumarised as Gods story.with Jesus being the theme and we see types of Christ on almost evry page of the o.t.Jesus is the antitype,thanks to ancient prophecy.so if all we can prove is that Jesus existed, *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 12:41pm
We can say that atleast most of the Bible is true.i saw you mentioned the historian josephus in a post, so i assume ur aquainted with the things he recorded about Jesus.remember,he wasnt even a Christian at the time. *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 12:47pm
the greek new testament is also the most reliable of all ancient works, we have well over 5000 original m cripts from which the NIV was translated.any scholar will tell you without doubt that the nt, is almost exactly the same as what the original *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 12:55pm
authors wrote. the nas is considered the most accurate word for word, but the niv is the most accurate in terms of the message and thought of the author. *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:01pm
so far, we can say 1-Jesus undoubtedly existed and fulfiled prophecy simply by being born. 2-the nt,is accurate and reliably the word of the authors-an unbeliever wont accept the argument if you say its Gods word. *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:13pm
My point is, the Bible is complete.when you study the entire canon of scripture, you see that it all leads up to the cross.yes it is full of moral teachings, and miracles-and if its true, why shouldnt it?but its the story of Gods ultimate salvation,etc etc *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:20pm
the imense parralels and prophecis fulfild in the nt, make it a unified book, not just a collection of random books and moral teachings.so we can see that the Bible is final and complete.you dont need to believe in God to understand that. *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:25pm
so you basicaly dont need to prove the entire Bible is true, just a few important parts, and automaticly(in my mind atleast)The rest can be trusted as true.besides, most Christians live their lives without reading the entire Bible, and stil get what they *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:27pm
need from it. *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:32pm
you have to realise, that a critic demands an explanation for evry verse, infact they would have u prove that even the gramar was God breathed.this is a hinderance.i think when it comes to arguing, no one can argue with ur testimony, but *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:38pm
why they dont see how our testimonies and our lives prove scripture-i dont know.youve got ask a critic, if you answer all their questions to their satisfaction, will they believe?if not, ur wasting ur time.just be polite about it tho. *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:44pm
Nicky Gumbel(A former athiest) said, Christianity is not a blind leap of faith, but it is a rational step of Faith. *

jadin_17 22.09.09 - 01:48pm
As for appologetics, i sugest you get a few commentarys a few diffrent versions of the bible, and download some teachings from ravi zacherias, google him.do you have esword? *

iilmadme 23.09.09 - 04:12pm
It's interestin wat's been sed here.Im not sure that ppl always get the balance right when talking to ppl outside their faith *

* ReasonforHope Forum

Search:
topics replies

* ReasonforHope

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits